Numbering our days well


I had an interesting encounter last Friday. Went to a talk and was introduced to a young lawyer J, and I found out that he works in my old office. When I introduced myself, he immediately asked if I was G, who used to work in his office and was now working in S. I asked him how he knew me, since I left my old job long before he joined. He said that my old colleagues still thought of me fondly!

The episode struck me as being odd, because I always thought of myself as being somewhat of a recluse at my old job, whereas now I make a deliberate effort to try to meet and talk to more people. But this just goes to show that what we do often has an impact much longer and deeper than we imagine. I am pleased to think that I made a positive impression on my old colleagues, but now worried that the times I was impatient or rude are probably also remembered with equal alacrity!

This ties in neatly with today's sermon on Psalm 90. Psalm 90:10,12 says "The length of our days is seventy years - or eighty if we have the strength; yet their span is but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away... Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."

The point I'm making is that we have only a finite number of years. And each stage of our life, which brings unique experiences and opportunities, is even more narrowly defined. Therefore make the most of our days, by leaving positive imprints - in our homes before we leave the nest, before the children grow up, before we grow old; in our jobs before we change them or our colleagues leave; in prayer and worship before our voices weaken, before our eyes grow dim.

We should also realize that although we have little time, the impact that we make can be hugely significant, even if we don't see it first-hand. If I hadn't met J, I would never have known whether or not I had made any impact in my old office. The point is that what we do not only affects those around us in terms of immediate space and time, but even those who come after us, or are not even in our physical proximity.

The impact that we make on our own lives and the lives of others can be significantly negative or positive. In Numbers 13-14, the Bible records that a single instance of fear and faithlessness caused an entire nation to wander the desert for 40 years and perish almost to a man, save for the two faithful scouts Joshua and Caleb.

We can't take our money or houses with us, but we sure can turn up before Him with a friend or two. Let's get to it today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team