How do you live like that?!

I am blessed to have a good partnership with my wife.  She takes care of the finances and makes sure the bills get paid.  She plans the schedule for each day - who needs to be where at what time, and how to get there.  I sort of just follow the schedule, go to work, and play with the kids at home :D  On holidays, we swop roles.  I plan where we go, what we do, and how to get there, and she gets to sit back and follow along!

I have friends and colleagues who do everything themselves, or independently of their spouses, and I sometimes wonder - how do they do that?!  Or perhaps more pertinently, why would they?!  But to be fair, my wife and I place a huge premium on living efficiently, and minimising overlap in our responsibilities.  Not everyone needs to choose to live this way, and there can be very good reasons why some things are done independently.

But make no mistake, life can be overwhelming.  Work, stress, finances, kids, parents, relationships, quarrels, health!  This is why Jesus says in John 16:33 "In this world, you will have trouble."  And so we need help.  Help from family, help from friends, and yes, help from the only one who can REALLY help - God.

I thank God that my children have had the benefit of walking with God all their lives.  They have always known He is there for them, and have seen with their own eyes how He has rescued them.  They understand that being a Christian is not about going to service once a week, but actually walking with God all the time.

But earlier this year, I remember my daughter went to a camp with her secondary school friends.  She recounted how, at night, when they had a fireside chat with each other, and the melancholy of nighttime crept over the campfire, all sorts of teenage angst came up - problems with friends, quarrels with parents, stress with schoolwork... tears were shed, loneliness unveiled.  Sounds normal right? But my daughter was taken aback.  Do you know why?

She realised - I have problems too, but I have always had God on my side.  My friends don't have God.  And they really need Him!  They're actually looking for Him, but don't know it.  They're venting their problems to friends, but only He can help them.  How do they live like that, without God?  And WHY would you want to live like that, without His peace, His companionship, and His help?

And it's the same for all of us, whether we're angsty teenagers or grownups who try to show that we are able to hold it all together.  We all need Jesus.  Whether we know it or not, He's the friend we're looking for, who always hears, always answers, always loves, always solves.  Why would you want to live without that?

John 16:33 does say, "In this world you will have trouble".  But thankfully, it goes on to say "But take heart, I have overcome the world!"

In the book of Isaiah, written about 8 centuries before Jesus was born that first Christmas, it says at chapter 9, verses 2 and 6 "The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of shadow of death a light has dawned... for to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.  And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

Yes we will find ourselves walking in darkness - struggles at work, with family, with health, whatever.  But upon us a light has dawned - Jesus, who advises us as our Wonderful Counsellor, who helps us as our Mighty God, who loves us as our Everlasting Father, who rules over us as Prince of Peace.

Many years ago, my Christian life turned around when I met an old friend whom I saw had been transformed - he had peace that he didn't have before.  I asked him what had happened, and he said he had become a Christian.  I wanted that peace too.  So I asked my friend, and he showed me how.  It was simple in the end, though it did still take the help of walking in community with some caring Christian brothers and sisters - I looked for Him, and found Him.  The Bible says He is Emmanuel - God, who is with us - He wants to be found!

I am grateful that my family has this same peace.  But like my daughter, we realise that not everyone has received it, though they look for it.  Well, here He is, especially at Christmas time, and as we get ready to dive into the New Year.  With all the peace and provision and guidance that you have been looking for all your life.

A very blessed Christmas, and a joyous New Year to all my friends and family.  His love is waiting, all wrapped up in a bow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team