Happy New Year 2017!

If you were a teenager in the 80s, you might, like me, have read the massively popular Dragonlance series, which you may recall, included the anti-hero Raistlin.  This tragic character was described as having hourglass eyes, which constantly see the wearing effects of time on others, which must have been a serious bummer.  I don't know about hourglass eyes, but "lao hua" eyes was definitely a thing for me this year.  I've been frustrated by how, if I hold the mobile phone too near the text gets all blurry, but if I hold it further away, the text is then too small!

Hourglass eyes or not, another year has passed.  It has been a Good Year.  I am grateful!  As many of my friends know, each year I write down a list of life goals centred around 3 main themes - myself, my family, and my work/ministry.  I'm happy I managed to hit the target of 25 blogs (in fact, with this entry, I reach 30 :)), do my daily devotionals, run 4 half-marathons, that my kids got to the schools and classes we prayed for, and that my ministry continued to grow, especially with younger friends in the workplace.

Some things I didn't manage to do - I didn't meet up with friends and meet the wife for lunch as regularly as I had planned for example, I never got around to moving nearer to the kids' schools, and some things just didn't work out in the office.

Who knows what the New Year will bring?  I certainly hope it'll be great for me, my family, and my friends and colleagues.  More interesting stories to share on this blog!  Good health and consistency in my exercise!  More regular time with my wife and children!  More success in school and in the workplace!  Building out my cell group and discipling more leaders!

But as I head into 2017, I want to remind myself of this - even if none of the good stuff happens; even if bad stuff happens in 2017 - that's no reason to stop being grateful for what I've received for all the preceding years.  I know that in all things, Christ works for the good of those who love Him, and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).  All things.  For my good.  As long I love Him.  As long as I follow my calling in accordance with His purpose.  It's great to have this compass.  Even in the storm, I know I am in the best place I can be.

Knowing I am heading the right way when troubles beset me is even more awesome and more important than merely having good things happen.  Because storms are just as inevitable as the sunshine.  And knowing the way is a whole lot more precious in the dark than in the day.

Jesus bless you, my family and friends, with a wonderful 2017, and even more importantly, with His direction and assurance in the sunshine, and in the storm!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team