What we sow, we reap

There is a law of the universe that what we sow, we reap.

When we are students, if we put in study, we get... more study.  We strive to do well to get into better classes and schools to get more, tougher schoolwork.  I bet if you ask a teacher what to do with a high achieving student, the answer would be... more work to challenge that student.

In our careers, if we put in work, we get... more work.  We strive to do well in the workplace to get the challenging, rewarding roles and assignments.  If you ask any manager worth his salt, he will tell you that, to the person who does his work faster and better than the others, he gives... more work to challenge that person.

In physical exercise, if we put in more training, we get... more training.  We strive to run and jump faster and further so that we can run and jump even faster and further.  We run 5k so that we can run 10k.  We clock 7 mins/km so that we can get to 6 mins/km.

These are all good things.  It's a great thing to be a good student, a stellar employee, and as fit as a fiddle.  But they don't happen automatically.  Each requires first, change and then, discipline.

We all know the power of inertia.  We've sat on the couch and thought really hard about going to the gym or for a jog.  At work, we've looked at the list of things to do and decided to do all the easy little things while postponing the really thorny and painful project to be dealt with another time (or hope somebody else decides to take over the problem in the meatime).  If you're a student, I'm sure you've found yourself staring at the TV or Youtube/Facebook/Instagram on your tablets or phones and thought really hard about possibly picking up the textbook to revise.

So... grit our teeth.  Decide to CHANGE.  NOW.

And then what?  Discipline.  For about 6 months, I've been on the 7 month 7 minute challenge.  It essentially involves going through a 7-minute circuit training routine every day for 7 months, based on the theory that if you can stick it out for 7 months, you'll create a lifetime habit.  6 months in, I've learned a few big things:

a. it's easy to deceive myself that I have changed.  There are days that I don't do the workout.  But I tap on the app to record that I have done it anyway, because the app automatically resets your record if you miss 3 days in a month and I don't want that.

b. even 7 minutes a day is a big challenge, because it's 7 minutes I could be doing something else.  Like eating dinner - because I usually try to do the workout when I get home, and before I eat. And whenever I get home late from work, and hungry... wow it's hard.

c. 6 months into the challenge, I'm pretty sure that even after I reach 7 months, this so-called lifetime habit will still be incredibly difficult to carry on.

So... grit our teeth some more.  Don't be deceived that you have changed if you really haven't.  And decide to STICK WITH IT.

So to return to the topic of reaping what we sow.  We sow study, we get more, better study.  We sow work, we get more, better work. We sow exercise, we get more, better exercise.  These are all good things.  But we know that at some point, we finish studying, we finish our careers, and yes, our bodies will fail.

1 Timothy 4:8-10 explains "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.  This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance.  That is why we labour and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Saviour of all people, and especially of those who believe."

The same law of the universe applies, so that, like study, work and exercise, when we sow our life, we reap... more, better life.  And life that lasts!  But we need to CHANGE.  Now.  Trusting in God requires a determination to change.  Not merely recognising the issue, and not just feeling sorry or emotional.  Actual change.  Deciding to come to church every week.  Deciding to join a community of believers in a small group.  Deciding to spend time everyday in prayer.  Deciding to live a life worthy of the name at work or school.  And after making that change, determining to STICK with it - and because we are prone to indiscipline and self-deception, to do so in community, with the encouragement of friends and family.

This is my story - I have sown my life in the One who is the Saviour.  This is why I labour and strive, because I have put my hope in Him who Lives.  And I can testify that I have reaped more, better life.  Not life without problems, for Jesus Himself tells us that in this life we will have trouble.  But He has overcome the world.  In every trouble, He has been and continues to be my anchor.

Test this law of the universe.  Sow your life in the One who Lives!

John 12:24
Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed.  But if it dies, it produces many seeds.

Jeremiah 29:11-13
For I know the plans I have for you, declared the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.  Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

My Story - Big Daddy Weave (2015)

If I told you my story
You would hear Hope that wouldn't let go
And if I told you my story
You would hear Love that never gave up
And if I told you my story
You would hear Life, but it wasn't mine

If I should speak then let it be
Of the grace that is greater than all my sin
Of when justice was served and where mercy wins
Of the kindness of Jesus that draws me in
Oh to tell you my story is to tell of Him

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team