近朱者赤,近墨者黑

Being surrounded by good people is a blessing.  As the Chinese proverb goes 近朱者赤,近墨者黑 (Get near to vermillion and you will be stained red, get near to ink and you will be stained black).  Last week, I wrote about how a friend taught me not to think too highly of my own ability.  So, while it is our duty to right that which is wrong, we do so not because we think we are better, but because we recognise our own failings.

This week, I learned another lesson from my friends!  Another friend was facing problems with some transactions and immediately, even in the midst of a hectic working day, the community of friends jumped in to help out and offer expertise,  advice and assurance.  I am deeply thankful for being part of a genuine faith community which really endeavours to mirror who God is to us, not a far away friend, but "a very present help in trouble" (Psalm 46:1), and lives out the exhortation that "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers" (Galatians 6:10).

But that wasn't the most important lesson I learned.  After all the help, the problem still wasn't resolved.  Worry, anxiety, frustration.  Natural.  So we tried more and more things to fix the issue.  Finally took a drastic step... and then 10 minutes later, realised the problem had already been fixed, and the drastic step wasn't quite necessary.

I think that for most of us, including myself, the instinctive reaction was one of relief that the issue was resolved, and accompanying irritation as to why the resolution hadn't made itself apparent earlier, thus obviating the need for drastic measures.

But a wise friend realised this - God was teaching us a lesson.  He had already answered our prayers to resolve the issue.  But we were frantically moving ahead of Him.

What does that mean?  This is how things are supposed to work:
a. Encounter problem
b. Pray faithfully
c. Wait patiently
d. God answers
e. Act immediately

But I suspect most of us, including myself, get this mixed up:
a. Encounter problem
e. b. Act immediately
c. Wait impatiently
Go back to b. again.  And again.
e. Pray (when we are finally desperate!)

Exodus 33 describes a conversation between Moses and God that illustrates this principle.  God is faithful to keep His promises, including His promise that He would bring His people to the promised land (i.e. out of Egypt and into Israel).  So He is faithful to His promises to us as well.  But sometimes we can be tempted to run ahead of Him.

Exodus 33:1-3 records that God has become angry with Israel's disobedience, but will still let them take possession of the land He promised them.  However, God Himself will not go with them while they remain rebellious.

Then the Lord said to Moses, "Leave this place, you and the people you brought up out of Egypt, and go up to [the promised land]... I will send an angel before you and drive out [your enemies]. Go up to the land flowing with milk and honey.  But I will not go with you, because you are a stiff-necked people..."

But in verses 15-16, Moses refuses to accept the gift unless the Giver goes with them.

Then Moses said to Him, "If Your presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here.  How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us?  What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?"

What an assuring principle to live by.  Not chasing after the gift, but enjoying the presence of the Giver, and knowing that in His presence, there is always fullness of joy (Psalm 16:11).  Thank you Jesus for this lesson - there is no need to frantically move ahead of God!

One final thought.  Just as we are blessed by God's presence, we do our best to mirror this but blessing others.   Thank God for wise and kind friends who bring God's presence with them into my life.  What about me?  What colour do I stain those around me?

At work and with my friends, do I bring positivity by thinking well and speaking well of others?  Or do I add to an atmosphere of grumbling, complaining and casting aspersions?

For my family and colleagues, do I model love, joy, peace, forebearance, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, self-control (Galatians 5:22-23)?  Or am I selfish, grumpy, anxious, impatient, unsympathetic, mean, brash, dishonest and angry?

Do I model a life that prays, waits for God, then acts immediately in obedience?  Or do I show them that I thrash about, worry, then jump on a horse and ride off in all directions?  Hmm...

Philippians 4:4-8
Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again, "Rejoice!"  Let your gentleness  be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team