A certain day, called Today


I confess that my preparation for the New Year has been less than ideal. I did have an amazing trip to Israel, getting back to Singapore just as the Gaza offensive began (more about that later). But catching up with work after being away, plus the myriad demands of parenthood (Primary 1!) have cluttered up the landscape.

I was blessed to receive an apt sermon on Sunday though. Though I still felt very tired then, I sensed that there was a moving of the heart, and I am determined to set things straight for the New Year.
Hebrews 4:7 says:
Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before: "TODAY, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."

Too often, we are content to receive good sermons and good advice, but then delay acting on it. This is, unfortunately, a too-common human condition. As my pastor said – delay is the deadliest form of denial. Why? Because delay allows us to say “Amen!” but also “Later!”, and so feel GOOD about disobeying. Most of us are not prepared to deal with the guilt of saying “No, Lord!” but are prepared to fudge with “Later, Lord.”

This is why Revelation 3:15-16 says:
I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I WISH YOU WERE EITHER ONE OR THE OTHER! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

Those of us who are parents also recognize this. Delayed obedience is the same as disobedience, whether it’s doing homework, cleaning the room, taking a bath… or doing quiet time, attending cell, telling our friends and family about the good news.

Forget yesterday, it will never come back. Do not worry about the possibility of falling or succeeding tomorrow, it never gets here.
TODAY, let’s claim God’s promise, as recorded in 2 Corinthians 6:2b:
I tell you, NOW is the time of God's favor, NOW is the day of salvation.

If you have always wanted to read the Bible cover to cover, start today. If you have always wanted to restore your quiet time with Jesus, start today. If you have always wanted to tell your cubicle neighbour about the good news, start today. Start with the first small step, but start today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team