Working for our bread


God provides the bread of life

When I think about why Jesus had the crowds following him around during his 3 years of ministry, I tend to imagine that they must have been amazed by the miracles he was doing, in casting out demons, healing the sick etc. But it was pointed out to me on Sunday that in fact, they were following him for much more mundane reasons:

Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill.” John 6:26

I never noticed that before. Isn’t that interesting? They were just hungry for the physical food he was providing!

Even today though, I think we often follow Him for similar reasons: help me to do well in school/at work, help me to have good health, help me to have obedient and successful children etc.

But Jesus said to the people then, and He says to us now also:

Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval. John 6:27

God WILL provide. After all, this is the God who was faced with four thousand hungry people and had only 7 loaves and “a few” fish, yet managed to feed them all and have seven basketfuls leftover. Better yet, when faced with FIVE thousand hungry people and only 5 loaves and 2 fish, he still managed to feed them all and had TWELVE basketfuls left over.

But while He does supply our earthly needs, the bread of life is what He wants us to focus on, and just like physical bread, the hungrier we are, the more He provides.

So what do we do for the bread of life?

Having said “do not work for food that spoils but for food that endures to eternal life”, the next question, obviously, is what work should we then do? And that is exactly what the Bible records in the next verse John 6:28:

Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"

And Jesus’ reply, in John 6:29, was:
Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

As simple as that. Amazing! But completely consistent with Jesus’ cry on the cross “It is FINISHED!”

In fact, even our very ability to exercise faith is a gift from God:

No one can come to me UNLESS THE FATHER WHO SENT ME DRAWS HIM, and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:44

Now, does this mean that we throw our hands up and say, it’s all God’s will so whatever I do makes no difference? No. In fact, my pastor puts it very well, when he says that the person who knows the end result should work the hardest towards that goal, because he has absolute confidence in the return for his work.

We know that our salvation is the undefeatable work of Christ, and so we work out our salvation with fear and trembling. In his letter to the Philippian church, Paul said:

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed - not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence - continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, FOR IT IS GOD WHO WORKS IN YOU to will and to act ACCORDING TO HIS GOOD PURPOSE. Philippians 2:12-13

Today, let’s work confidently, putting our lives to His use unreservedly, knowing that the victory has been won!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team