Send ME


It's been a very rough month or two. With all the major upheavals of the recent past, there are so many worries and concerns and dissatisfactions, that even just a little more trouble can sometimes be enough to make me feel overwhelmed. But God is faithful - He always provides grace and strength to supply all my needs. And last Sunday's message was soberingly encouraging (is there such a thing?). Let me share.

How am I really doing in the race that God has mapped out for me? When we have lots of other things to concentrate on, I think it's very tempting to say to God "God, I'm going to be faithful. I'll keep attending church (as often as I can). I'll read the Bible (now and then). I'll keep praying (when I'm in trouble). I'll be a nice person (as much as it's possible). I'm quite happy to run the race. BUT LET ME RUN AT MY OWN PACE." I just realized that the above kind of rhymes (badly). Weird.

Let's step out of our comfort zone. Anyone can run at their own pace. But whose pace matters? If we only run at our own pace, we are trusting in our own strength. The fellow who runs at his own pace never learns to run any faster. Ahh, but this begs the question, do we WANT to run faster in the first place? Let's check this out.

Stepping out of our comfort zone has consequences. Look at Moses. He was a prince of Egypt. But he stepped out of his comfort zone.

"By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharoah's daughter. He CHOSE to be MISTREATED along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time. He regarded DISGRACE for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward." Heb 11:24-26

Sometimes I think, if I had just kept my head down, the devil would not have bothered with me. Maybe my family tragedy would not have occurred. Maybe office life would be less hectic, or more successful. Maybe I would just be generally happier.

But then I remember God's word. What have I given up? A better office life? A little more time with my brother? And even then, perhaps what was lost was my own fault. Who am I to blame God and look away from my own failings? Look at what Moses gave up - royalty, to exchange for years of desert wandering, never even to make it to Canaan in the end. Look at what Christ gave up.

"[Christ], who, being in the very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death - even death on a cross!" Phi 2:6-8

How can I even think to complain?

Is there a cost to doing the work of the kingdom? Of course.

The trouble is, everyone thinks he is the guy who came in in the morning and worked the vineyard the whole day while getting paid the same as the guy who only came in the evening (Matt 20:1-5). Everyone thinks he is the elder son who stayed and worked with his father while the prodigal son enjoyed life (Luke 15:11-31). Everyone thinks they are the 99 who remained (Luke 15:4-7). We think - why should we have to pay the entire price while others sneak in the last moment?

I think we give ourselves too much credit. I am the worker who came in at the last. I am the prodigal son. I am the lost sheep. Knowing this, will I act in gratefulness? I think we need Paul's self-awareness, so that we can recognize:

"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the WORST. BUT FOR THAT VERY REASON I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life." 1 Tim 1:15-16

It's completely understandable that we recoil from volunteering our lives. Look at Moses, even after God gave him the staff that turned into a snake, even after God showed him all kinds of signs - the burning bush, the leprous hand, the power to turn water to blood. What was Moses' response? "Lord, please send someone else" Exo 4:13

Isn't that typical? We turn up in church, cell or whatever, and say "Lord here I am! Send someone else!!!" Let someone else encourage. Let someone else pray. Let someone else go. I just want to sing the songs and listen to the nice sermons.

Our pastor was telling us on Sunday, that if he didn't make life difficult and uncomfortable for us by challenging us to DO (and not just think or feel) the impossible on a regular basis, our church would probably be much bigger. I agree. Unfortunately, we are too often prepared to hear, but not to listen. Prepared to agree, but not to act. Jesus warns us about this attitude:

"What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, 'Son, go and work today in the vineyard.' " 'I will not,' he answered, but later he changed his mind and went. "Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, 'I will, sir,' but he did not go. "Which of the two did what his father wanted?" "The first," they answered." Matt 21:28-31

The pastor's job is not to make us feel good. He is not even there to fill our minds with knowledge of the Bible or of God. Instead, He endeavours to DISCIPLE, and in turn make us disciplemakers. His job is not to fill the church with middle of the road Christians. He wants us to be winners for Christ.

And the pastor’s job is the same as all OUR jobs. The pastor can’t come into our offices and workplaces. WE are God’s disciplemakers in the workplace.

President Roosevelt once said:"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs EVEN THOUGH CHECKERED BY FAILURE, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat".

Let me try something. As I write and you read this now, it's easy for us to carry on with our lives as is. But if you want to respond by stepping out of your comfort zone, to dare mighty things for God and be more than a “gray twilight” believer, email me and say "Send ME". And we will contend together in prayer and in action for the advance of the kingdom. God's promise is that all things work for the good of those who love him and are called according to his purpose. Do we want all things to work for our good? Then let's make sure we move according to his call, and according to his purpose.

Send ME.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team