Absence of the expected


In the rush of the day, I find myself pulling up suddenly when I encounter potholes. What potholes? Well, the absence of the expected. I was just reading an article the other day about stupid football quotes, like:

Reporter: So Roy, do you think you'll have to finish above Manchester United to win the league this year?
Roy: you have to finish above everyone to win the league Richard.

or

Reporter: So Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough outplayed you today?
Gordon: What areas? That big green one out there...

As I read the article, I instinctively reached for my handphone to call my brother and tell him to read it, and then I suddenly realised he wouldn't be there. The permanence of the loss is QUITE SHOCKING.

I just got the 2006-07 Liverpool FC DVD in the mail and as I was watching a fantastic goal by Riise in the Community Shield again I half thought about calling him to crow about it. I also bought a set of old cartoons for my kids to watch (He-man and the Masters of the Universe - for some reason they love it), and as I watched it with them, I really thought my brother would have been laughing at how Daniel and Natalie are enjoying the same silly cartoons we watched when we ourselves were kids.

Then at bedtime, Daniel asked for a He-man storybook (they're all out of print of course) and I suddenly remembered that my brother used to draw his own comics - parodies of cartoons like Centurions (Penturions - walking talking pens!), Silverhawks (Silverpigs - similar to the Hawks, but much lower on the cool quotient) and my favourite - his original creation Captain Cat.

I realise that hardly anyone reading this will get what I'm writing about, but that's the point really. No one will get it except me, and there'll never be anyone who'll get it, because these were our own inside jokes. E Sosley. Purposely trying to make a goal from a cross in Superstar Soccer. Sheffield Wednesday. Gobbledygook to everyone else, but special to me.

I remember my wife telling me that the loss will always be there. It's like a cut. At first, the pain is acute and there's bleeding. After some time, the wound will turn into a scab and it stops bleeding. Then after some more time, the scab falls off. But the scar - well it stays there forever. Someday it won't be painful any more, but whenever you see it, you'll remember.

Do you have anyone with whom you share special memories? Anyone you need to say "I care about you" to? Go make a lunch appointment NOW!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team