Forget the former things

When people talk about leaving the past behind, we often have in mind bad things that we want to forget. A broken relationship, a bad job, or perhaps some personal or financial loss. 
In the well known verses in Isaiah 43:18-19, God says to the Israelites "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland."

One might think that God was making the point that the Israelites should leave behind their disappointments and failures - the "wilderness" and "wasteland", and look forward to a brighter future. 

But at church service yesterday, it was pointed out that the preceding verses actually explain what it was that God was telling the Israelites to forget. 

Isaiah 43:16-17 says "This is what the LORD says - he who made a way through the sea, a path through the mighty waters, who drew out the chariots and horses, the army and reinforcements together, and they lay there, never to rise again, extinguished, snuffed out like a wick."

This is, of course, a reference to one of the mightiest displays of God's power, when He worked through Moses to part the Red Sea, for the entire nation of Israelites to pass through, and then closed the Red Sea over the pursuing Egyptian army. This would have been one of the apexes of the the Israelites' experience with God.

It is to this amazing height of success that God says "forget that, don't dwell on the past"!

I had never really noticed that before, and it spoke to me really profoundly.

I have had the satisfaction of building from scratch and leading an absolutely fantastic team at work over the last decade or so. As in many cases however, people eventually move on. It is sad. But God says - why do you think that team was as good as it gets? Look forward!

I have had the joy of bringing up children who are close to my wife and me, and love to spend time with us. But they too grow up, and move out. It is sad. But God says - why do you think that time was the best of your family life? Look forward!

I have had the privilege of growing a capable and supportive cell family in church. I could hold on to the comfort of having nice big numbers around me. But God says - why do you think this cell community can't be even more amazing if you give them space to grow? Look forward!

What great possibilities does God have in store for us, if we are prepared to stop pining for and holding onto the "good old days" and surrender them for the better thing ahead?

I have an amazing team at work. But what if God could make the team even better? 

I have a great job. But what if what God has a better thing for me beyond a merely "great job"? 

I have a loving family. But what if God has already seen how much better it will be as the children become adults?

I have a wonderful cell family. But what if God can do even mightier things as we break new ground and allow new leaders to rise up?

All these "what ifs" are not daydreams. They're not "what ifs" to God, the Author and Perfecter of our faith, the Creator of heaven and earth. I can choose to live like the best has already happened, and is behind me. Or I can move forward into "the good works that God has prepared in advance for me to do" (Ephesians 2:10)

As Senior Pastor said - don't let the disappointment of what you have experienced, keep you from what God wants you to expect. It's usually evident what to do when bad stuff happens. Move forward. But when good stuff happens (and then fades away). Even then. Still. Move. Forward. He is doing a new thing. Again!

So Lord, as much as You help me let go of the bad stuff, let me also hold on to the good things in my life lightly. You have better plans ahead. As Corrie Ten Boom said, "Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open".

You have been so good. I can trust that You will continue to be so. Even more than that, I long for all my friends and family to see that for themselves. As they turn to You, and put their trust in You, and obey Your loving directions, I pray that they too will see all the good plans that You have laid out for them, coming true in front of their very own eyes. Better than before.

What if... God is good? 

What if... God loves me? 

What if... God can do great things in and through and for me?

He is. 

He does. 

He will!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team