The Good Life Part 1

Some days are bad days. Some days are good days. Then there are those days which are simply amazing. Yesterday was one of those days! 

What's the secret for having more amazing days? Bill Gates famously said "I can understand about having millions of dollars. There's meaningful freedom that comes with that, but once you get much beyond that, I have to tell you, it's the same hamburger.

What he meant, of course, was that having lots more money doesn't bring much more happiness.

And this is true not just for billionaires. Bill Gates' anecdotal observation is backed up by Nobel Prize winners Angus Deaton and Daniel Kahneman of Princeton University, whose well-known study showed that once your income exceeds US$75,000 per annum, your day to day experience doesn't improve much as your income grows, even when adjusted for whether you choose to live in an expensive locale or an inexpensive one. 

For reference, the 2018 median household income in Singapore was S$9293 per month, or S$111,526 per annum - which is US$81,133 at today's exchange rate. Remember, US$75,000 is the point at which additional happiness already flatlines, which means that even if you earn less than that, you're likely already pretty advanced along the happiness-money curve. For further context, the global median household income is just US$9,733 per annum. Yet we know that many Singaporeans are still dissatisfied. So having enough money is not the answer to having amazing days. 

Neither is it achievement - the wildly successful comedian and movie star Jim Carrey said, "I wish everyone could get rich and famous and everything they ever dreamed of so they can see it's not the answer." 

The legendarily wealthy and successful King Solomon wrote in the book of Ecclesiastes:

"I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees... 

I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces... I became greater by far than anyone... I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my labour, and this was the reward for all my toil. 

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun."

It's plain to see that personal wealth and achievement don't make for a meaningful life. That's really the issue that Bill Gates and King Solomon were addressing. King Solomon's words are telling - I built houses for myself; I amassed silver and gold for myself; I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure.

When I look for my success and my happiness, this pursuit very quickly becomes self-limiting. But once I look to the success of others - well, every additional person whose success and happiness makes me happy, multiplies my happiness potential by 100%.

Yesterday was such a happy day. The Covid-19 pandemic restrictions make it impossible (and irresponsible) to meet in large groups. Like so many others, we've had to attend church services and organise our church cell groups to meet over video conference. This is clearly sub-optimal - whatever the wonders of technology, it's just not the same as meeting in person. 

We should have diminished. Yet after these months of patchy audio, squinting at faces 1 cm large, and zero physical contact -  yesterday, we had 27 (twenty-seven!!) people at our cell group meeting across a slew of homes all over Singapore. For context - before the pandemic, our typical meeting had about 8 people!

In these months where we've been physically apart, this little group has managed to:

a. send regular care packages to our friends in the rental blocks;
b. start a migrant worker program and feed/clothe literally thousands of these workers;
c. bring new lives to Christ, who in turn infuse this group with their energy, love and friendship.

The smiles on the faces of the residents and workers (or their voices over the phone!) really makes our day. And seeing new friends experience the joy of Christ is just the best thing ever. 

One of us shared yesterday that her manager was being moved to a different department, and had nominated her to take her place. This was a scary move, because it is literally a promotion through five, yes count them, five ranks at one shot. 

It was such a blessing to see her instinctive response - not pride, though we are proud of her - but humility. It was not, oh I deserve this, but wow what did I do to deserve this?

It was such a blessing to see her friends' instinctive and sincere response - not envy, but instant support, encouragement, and prayer. As she explained - one after another, they came to give her hour-long pep talks and prayer :D

It was such a blessing to hear her excited and sincere reliance on God. It's not about me - God is at work here, and if God is with us, then who can be against us? (Romans 8:31) Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

If there was a way to press the "like" button on life, I would have pressed it a hundred times last night!

I must admit, when I saw all these amazing things happen, I was a little stressed. It felt like I was holding this incredible treasure of a community in a fragile china plate, balanced on a rod on the tip of my nose. Don't mess up or it'll break!

And then God gently reminded me - ah my son, it's not like you had anything to do with it. It was Me. Deflating, but a relief :D

It's true though. I had nothing to do with it. I just happened to have a court-side seat as God moved. So if I didn't make it happen, then I can hardly be in a position to break what God is doing. Thank God for that. More of You Lord!

=====

George Bernard Shaw writes:

"This is true joy in life, the being used up for a purpose recognised by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy." 

Being part of a community that celebrates the success and happiness of others, makes for a multiplied life that is a succession of amazing days. And the best part is that this succession of amazing days is not a mere agglomeration of events in a coincidental group of friends. It is God Himself, with us in community, purposefully working in and through us, toward that final day when every tear will be wiped away. 

Thank you friends, for walking with me. Thank You Jesus, for leading the way.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound. That saved a "feverish, selfish little clod" like me!
I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team