You can't manage what you can't measure

Peter Drucker was one of most eminent business thinkers of the 20th Century.  He once wrote, "You can't manage what you can't measure".  I think this is particularly true for things that don't naturally come to us - for example, when we're trying to introduce some new or otherwise challenging process or habit. 

So if we're bringing in some new product to the market, we need to (a) establish what we think success is supposed to look like, and then (b) measure how well we're doing against that pre-established picture of success. Only then can we figure out whether and what we did well, and what we need to do better, and apply those lessons not only to that new product, but to future product launches.

So far, so obvious.  I find that this applies to personal habits as well.  For example, I know lots of friends who aim for the 10,000 steps a day target.  Success looks like: (a) getting fit and healthy, and measurement looks like (b) 10,000 steps a day.  Which is a reasonable proxy for health and fitness. 

I track my exercise routine on an app too - every time I run, play basketball or go to the gym, I log it.  But before I started this habit of tracking my routine, my GP used to ask me how often I exercised, and I used to say about 2-3 times a week.  However, when I actually started logging my exercise sessions, I realised that although I really did exercise 2-3 times a week sometimes, often a whole month would go by with no exercise at all.  So I was deluding myself!  I started planning my exercise sessions in my calendar, and at the end of last year, my app told me that I had exercised more than 160 times, which is about once every 2-3 days.  Yay!  Now, this is still no guarantee that I am fit and healthy, but at least I now have a reasonable proxy, and I know when I'm lagging.

In the same way, there are some proxies to measure the health of our spiritual walk.  As a believer, the first question I have to ask myself is, am I getting the full benefit of being a Christian, or knowing God?  In other words, what does my picture of success look like?

If I am a gym member, then my picture and measure of success is running faster, and lifting more.  And the purpose is to have a higher quality of life in terms of fitness and mobility.  If am a Christian, then my picture and measure of success is... what?  If I don't know what it is, then how do I know if I have it? 

So here, at least to me, are some of the key privileges of Christianity.  First - fellowship and warmth of family.  Besides my own actual family, the family and community of believers is real and encouraging and powerful.  We celebrate each other's successes.  We mourn with each other when we're sad.  We encourage and build up and teach and set examples for each other.  I'm lucky enough to live near my parents.  But some of us don't necessarily live near our blood family - maybe they're overseas, for example, or for some other reason, they're just not close.  Proverbs 27:10 even recognises this "... Better a neighbour nearby than a relative far away".

But in order to enjoy the benefit of family, I need to turn up.  And not just turn up, but participate in the family life.  That's why coming to weekend services and small group meetings is so important.  If I'm not there, then how can I be part of the family?  If I'm not sharing my life openly, then how can I receive the love and warmth that's otherwise available?  If I constrain myself to "my faith is personal" then I am completely missing out on the key benefit of being a believer.  How often do we attend service?  Attend small group meetings?  Are you sure about that number?  Want to try measuring that over, say a 3 month spell and test yourself?

This leads me to the second, related key benefit of being a believer.  And that is the benefit of evangelism, meaning, bringing someone new into the family of believers.  For those of you who are parents, you'll probably agree with me that bringing a baby into the family is one of the most amazing things you could experience.  It's really the same when someone new joins the family of believers.  Like a father, I am thrilled when someone new joins the family.  Like a parent, I am thrilled when I see that person grow and mature.  Like a grandparent, I am thrilled when that person in turn brings someone else new into the family!  Why?  Because I know my family is awesome!  The new person is in for a treat!

In order to enjoy the benefit of evangelism, I need to do something simple.  Just bring new people to service and to my small group, so they get to know my awesome family of believers.  When's the last time you think you brought someone new to service?  To your small group?  Really?  Want to measure that?  I think we might be surprised how long ago it was.

Finally, another great benefit of being a believer is the receipt of guidance from God.  Life is complex, confusing, ambiguous.  At work, at home, with family and friends and relationships.  There are so many forks in the road, and let's face it, sometimes there doesn't even seem to be a path to follow!  But God has so many good promises for those who simply choose to heed His call and follow His way.  All things work for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).  For He knows the plans He has for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you (Jeremiah 29:11).  What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.  See, He has placed before you an open door no one can shut (Revelation 3:7-8).

How to enjoy this benefit of guidance?  Spend time with the person who gives guidance of course.  If I want to hear from God, then I need to spend time with Him.  Read His word.  Pray (and not just babble and compile wish lists, but quietly listen too).  How often do we think we do this?  Want to measure how often we really do that out of the 30 days of each month?

Time for a reality check.  You can't manage what you can't measure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team