It's Daddy! It's Daddy!!!

With the end of primary school, Sunday school also comes to an end, and now both kids attend their own teens' service. So yesterday, I brought the younger one around and told him where to meet the sister after service and their respective cell groups to take the bus home.

Along the way, the older one asked me how conflicts with schoolfriends should be handled, and what to do in a situation where you don't know anyone (she was heading to a prayer meeting but both her leaders were not around).  After sharing my views, she turned to her brother, without a hint of sarcasm, and said, "Daddy's always so inspirational".  Ah, the words that a father of a 14/15 year old longs to hear :D

With the kids settled down at service, I went back home for my afternoon nap!  After a good zzz, I hopped over for a quick dinner at my mum's place, then walked to church for evening service.

From a distance of about 50m, I saw, in the twilight, two figures walking towards me from the bus stop.  Then, one of the figures started running, and about 30m away, he turned back and yelled, "Che Che, it's Daddy! It's Daddy!"  Then he ran full pelt and LEAPED into my arms!  He's already 12, coming 13, so you can imagine how I had to brace myself!  Then he jumped off, yelled "that was FUN!", ran back 15m, then SPRINTED back for another bone crunching leap and hug.

These are the things that make a Dad's day.  Then they went up for dinner at my mum's place, and I headed off to service, with my heart light!

I say these things not because I'm a great Dad, but because I'm thankful that my kids appreciate their imperfect father.  I've missed concerts and performances over the years, though as few as possible.  I get caught up in my work and have uttered the dreaded "not now" to my kids at home many a time.  I do try, in my own faulty way, to show them what's important to me - obeying and serving God, loving family, and being excellent at work, in that order.  But I do lose my temper, I do get impatient, and I do get lazy.  Yet despite all all my failings, my kids still think I'm great.  Amazing.

The joy that I feel when my daughter looks to me for guidance and asks "What should I do Daddy?", and when my son looks to me and says happily "it's Daddy!", must be similar to the way that God feels about me when I look to Him for guidance, and when I delight in being with Him.

I'm forty plus, but that night at service, I literally had tears in my eyes, because I felt the same way my kids felt - I have a Good, Good Father.  And He always has time for me.  I know who He is, I know who I am, and I know whose I am!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team