Sucks to be back?!?

Every year, I make a serious attempt to think through what I hope to achieve - I work through the themes of "Going Deep", "Looking Far" and "Asking Big", a model I learned many years ago, and which I find works well for me.  This becomes my to-do list, as well as a prayer list - something to be held accountable for, and something to be grateful for in advance, even as God gives grace for these things to be done.

I try to pray for really specific things - that I will maintain the discipline of writing and sharing this blog at least twice a month for example (reached 23).  Or like last year, for my ankle to be healed, and to make four races - specifically one each quarter (done :)).  To pray with my children every night (not done :().

As I go through each year's exercise, I look back at past years, and see where I've consistently succeeded, and where I've consistently fallen short.  These resolutions are not one-offs - many of them recur annually. Where I succeed, of course, I'm happy and tell myself to keep going. Where I fail, and yes, it happens all the time I'm afraid, I face up to it, confess it to God, and resolve to go again.

And with this, I really look forward to the year - trusting that God will protect and keep me away from my own vain ambition and selfish desires (Philippians 2:3-4 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.  Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but to the interests of others), but instead encompass me within His specific purposes for me in 2016 (Ephesians 2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works which he prepared in advance for us to do).

Following on from this year's resolutions, I decided to hit the treadmill on the first working day of the year.  While I was in the changing room, I overheard a conversation between two young men, one of whom was asking the other about the usual year end break.  In short, the break was good (of course) but, to quote, "Sucks to be back at work!"

As I heard this, my instinctive reaction was to feel sorry for the fellow.  First workday of the year, and you already think it sucks?  Where's the hope?  Where's the joy?  Where's the peace?

Look, I know work is tough.  Family too.  First work week and I already feel - wow, so much to do.  So many relationships to manage.  So many opportunities to trip, fall and put my foot in my mouth, and I probably already have :P  First school week and I already feel - wow, so many challenges ahead for my kids - PSLE, Sec 2 streaming!

But thank God!

We have hope!  Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.

We have joy!  Psalm 28:6-7 Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy.  The Lord is my strength and shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.  My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.

We have peace!  Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

As I said to some friends over Christmas - the easy thing to do, when met with the gravity of the love of Christ, is to nod contentedly, then walk away unchanged and unequipped into the New Year.  This world is messed up, and life will, unsurprisingly, continue to suck.

But if we decide, as part of this New Year, that we want, despite all our uncertainties and fears, to seek and walk in His plan, then He will send His hope, His joy and His peace, and then we will see, even amidst the difficulties that certainly will come - "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up, do you not perceive it?  I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise."  Isaiah 43:19

Do you, like me, want to try that this year?  For the first time?  Or retry after past disappointments?  It works.  It really does.  Hope, joy, peace.  For all things work for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.  Romans 8:28

God bless you with a hopeful, joyful, peaceful 2016!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team