Chinese New Year and my Pa

Chinese New Year is coming up!  Chinese New Year is about family, and a new year and new beginnings.  So as I'm sitting here, I'm thinking about my Pa.  I didn't ask his permission to write about him - so, sorry Pa :P

My Pa is pretty awesome.  His basic qualifications are those of the "O" levels, though much later on in life, he went on to get some professional logistics qualifications.  But the fact of the matter is, he never really had the chance at education that many of us have today.  He grew up in a family with so many siblings, I have literally lost count (we're not talking 6-7.  More than double that!), and most of the time I can't figure out if someone is my aunt, cousin or niece!

In terms of stature, my Dad's certainly not the biggest - but in character, he is larger than life!  I suppose that's what was needed to cope and survive.  I have often thought to myself that he is the personification of 打不死!  No obstacle was ever too big, no setback too discouraging.  At work, he overcame the obstacles of education and opportunity to run businesses large and small, from chemicals to vacuum cleaners to warehouses, granite quarries and a bank.  My family never lacked for nice things - we always had a car, and over the course of his working life we eventually moved from a flat to a bigger flat to a condo, and even travelled to New Zealand once!  He took up running fairly late in life and ended up running competitively, often winning against younger, taller racers, where we would cheer him on at the National Stadium or MacRitchie Reservoir.

Whenever life threw obstacles in his path, he would pick himself up again.  When businesses failed, when trusted people turned against him, even when his health seemed threatened.  I remember he was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, which was supposed to end up with him becoming unable to run or even walk properly.  But decades later, my Pa is still running - just yesterday he ran the 10k in about 70 minutes.  My Pa is 73.  Some 37 year olds can't do that. Heck, some 27 year olds can't do that.

But along with his achievements, my Pa was often impatient, unreasonable and short tempered.  Growing up as the subject or witness of some of his volcanic scoldings and punishments, I would often tell myself I would never be like him (I turned out to be wrong about that, as my kids will tell you).  He would yell at me, my brother and my Mom, and would often be rather unpleasant to be around.  I thought he would never change.

But in the last 7 years or so, a transformation that had been planted years and years ago has borne fruit.  When my Pa was a young man, he was walking along the beach when a small boy approached him and gave him a Bible.  So that began my Pa's spiritual journey.  I'm not sure if my Pa changed a lot at first.  Not really.  Not until the last 6-7 years.  Do you know what made the change?  He started to read the Bible.  Really spend time reading it.  And then he and I started to talk about it more and more over weekend dinners.  It really was as simple as that.

Today, my Pa is, dramatically, a kinder, gentler, happier soul.  He thirsts for God.  He witnesses to his friends.  He has a little bookmark that reminds him - just one more for Jesus.  One more citizen for the Kingdom.  We still spend time talking about Jesus over our weekly dinners.  Sometimes I can't help laughing when I hear my Pa telling my Mom not to be angry or frustrated, or when my Mom scolds my Dad.  It was always the other way round when I was younger!  My Mom is great, and always has been of course, but what I mean is that the transformation in my Dad is stark!

This Chinese New year, many of us will get a chance to meet up with older uncles and aunts, and with our siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews.  It's not easy, but these family members of ours whom we have known and loved for the longest time deserve to receive the transformative power of Christ.  We may look at them and think - no way.  How can someone so steeped in their ways for so many years change?  How can someone who has rejected Christ their whole life change their mind now?  Well they can - look at my Dad's transformation.

That's the promise of God - that when we are born again, we are a new creation.  The old has gone, the new has come 2 Corinthians 5:17.  I'm sure I myself will stumble and doubt when the occasion arises, so I write this not only to encourage you, but to start holding myself accountable.


Romans 10:14-15 says "How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in?  And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?  And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?  And how can anyone preach unless they are sent?  As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

May we be blessed with beautiful feet this Chinese New Year.  May we and our family members understand that we don't have to be the old man inside of us.  We really don't have to.  Instead, God is ready and willing to give us a new name, a new life, and a hope that will carry us home!

Because, I don't have to be the old man inside of me
Cause his day is long dead and gone
Because, I've got a new name, a new life, I'm not the same
And a hope that will carry me home

I am redeemed, You set me free
So I'll shake off these heavy chains
Wipe away every stain
Cause I'm not who I used to be

I am redeemed
Thank God, redeemed.

Redeemed - Big Daddy Weave (2013)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team