The door that cannot be shut

Well, all the exams finally ended a couple of weeks ago for my kids - what a relief!  So here's a bit of reflection on our experience...

First, for the Primary Six one - as I wrote in an earlier blog entry here, Nat was hoping to get into a particular school through the Direct Schools Admission exercise, and didn't quite make it at the final interview. I had wanted her to go to that school because I'm from the affiliated boys school.  At the same time, Nat also didn't get an offer for my wife's alma mater, which my wife wanted her to go to, especially because it's near home.  So... basically I didn't get what I wanted, my wife didn't get what she wanted, and Nat didn't either.

Or so I thought.

So a few days after Nat got the rejections from schools A and B, we got an email from School C.  Nat got a confirmed offer!  We had been reluctant for Nat to interview for this school, because it's rather far away from home.  But Nat had insisted on applying, because we'd gone to the open houses for all three schools, and she'd liked that one the best.  So we gave in, figuring it was unlikely for her to get a place there anyway (it's a hard school to get into, and also has an affiliated primary school, and we thought the number of places available for outsiders would be very limited).

Nat was obviously extremely pleased when we broke the news to her!  From our perspective, we're concerned about the distance to be travelled to and from school, especially because Nat has tended to be prone to car-sickness.  We also wonder if Nat will continue to be able to cope with the "Chinese-ness" of this school, even though she has survived being in a very "Chinese" primary school.  And let's face it, in my selfish heart, I still wish I had gotten my way about which school she went to. But we believe God knows what He's doing!

Now, the Primary Four one - finally done with his first year in the Gifted Education Programme ("GEP").  It has been a huge huge huge struggle!  I often wonder if the GEP throws its nets out too wide.  There are a few REALLY smart kids in his class, who really thrive with the super-challenging stuff that is thrown at them.  Daniel... well, I think he's thrashing about just enough to stay afloat! (The pic on the left is a much happier pic of him afloat :D)  Thank God for encouraging teachers who help to assure us that he's going to be alright!

We obviously wish Daniel was acing everything.  But I'm still proud of him, because I can see how tough it is.  The little guy has really tried hard, often to the point of tears, poor fellow, and it's not easy when the results don't seem to match the effort.  It's even tougher because as parents we find it difficult to help him - there just don't seem to be any assessment books to practise with him on his weird syllabus.  So while we try to help as much as we can, sometimes he's really on his own.  But I believe he will come out better for having survived in the end.  Hang in there buddy.  In the meantime - so happy to see him with a big post-exam smile on his face, playing with his Lego as I type this out!

So, while things don't always turn out the way we hope,  how do I know it will all turn out OK?  Well, a couple of things. I really prayed that Nat would get the place in the right school.  I really hoped it would be my alma mater.  But I was praying one day, when unprompted, I saw a vision of little Nat in the uniform of the other school, looking happy.  At the time, the results weren't out, so of course my natural reaction was - nah, it's just my imagination.  But sometimes God really speaks.  And even if we refuse to listen, He's still in charge.  So God - I surrender, you win.  And I know You know best.  A week ago, Nat went to Taiwan for an post-PSLE school trip - and despite numerous long bus journeys... no car-sickness!  So thank you God for straightening the path for little Nat!

And for Daniel?  Well, he's survived one tough year, two more to go.  My devotions recently covered the Book of Revelation.  Revelation 3:7-8 says:

These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David.  What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.  I know your deeds.  See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut.  I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.

It's painful for the little fellow.  But I know that if God opened the door for Daniel, no one can shut it.  He will be able to walk through it, even though he has little strength of his own!

Just yesterday I visited a couple from my cell group who recently had a baby.  They are tired, but joyful, and enjoying the assurance of God.  Why?  As my friend wisely observed - "Look at this precious little one.  He must be so precious to God.  If God gave him to us to look after, it must be that He trusts us enough to do the job."  Yes, as Revelation 3:8 says - He knows we have little strength, but we have kept His word and have not denied His name, and so His strength is more than enough - we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team