Hands up if you believe exercise is good for you

Some of you might have heard of this one before,so bear with me. I just heard it again this Sunday at service.  So let's try this as you read this post.

Hands up if you believe exercise is good for you.  OK, so like me, you probably raised your hand.  Most of us accept that exercise is good for us.

Keep your hand up if, at some point in the last month, you have managed to put in some time to go for some form of exercise.  OK, I suspect that a fair number of us probably still have our hands raised.  Me too.  I went for a treadmill run on Wednesday.

Now, experts tell us that we should exercise 3 times a week, for about 30 minutes, while achieving an elevated heart rate.  Hands still up?  Nope, mine just went down. On a really really good week, I exercise twice a week (unless you count the walk to the MRT station lah).  I don't think I've done thrice a week since University days.

So if you still have your hand up, then I present to you, a person who REALLY believes that exercise is good for you!

The point?  That what we say we believe, doesn't necessarily connect from our head to our heart, or to our actions.  If we REALLY believed, we would act on that belief.

Here's another story.  The other day I was talking to my daughter about school.  We happened to touch on the topic of which teachers she liked, and she mentioned one of her science teachers.

Daddy: So why do you like that science teacher?
Nat: Well, you know, she always tries to help us.
Daddy: Oh, like she wants you to do well and answers your questions and all that?
Nat: Well...all teachers are like that.  But you know, some of them just want us to score good marks, but Mrs X, you can sort of tell she REALLY cares for you as a person, and not just your marks.

Boy, when I heard that, it really struck a chord.  I've always thought of myself as a somewhat socially disconnected person.  If I had a choice, I would rather keep to myself, read my books.  But I believe in my head that people are more important than things.  I really do.  So I work at it.  I make sure I meet people for lunch.  Unlike people who are naturally gregarious and spontaneously get invited for meals and outings, I have to plan for these catchups. I'm notorious among my own friends for maintaining a spreadsheet for lunch appointments to make sure I regularly meet up with them.

Like my daughter can see through teachers who care about marks more than the students, I often fret if people can see through me, that it's contrived.  I often wish I could be the sort of person who's genuinely caring, and who people gravitate to when in need.

So what am I to do?  I don't think I am that sort of person.  Is it hypocritical for me for go out and try to make friends, work with the needy?  Should I just be who I am, "be true to myself", as so much of Western pop culture recommends?  Nah.  As with exercise, I genuinely believe people are important.  OK, so maybe I won't ever come across as natural as others can be.  I might not, in fact, ever be as good at caring as others.  And I will probably always envy those people a bit, just like I wish I could run that bit faster, jump that much higher when I exercise.  But by gosh, I'm gonna try my darndest to act on what I believe.

We sang a song today that says "Christ is enough for me.  Everything I need is in You."  It occurred to me that this song does not only mean that although we have very little, Christ will be enough for us.  Rather, it also means, victoriously, that what we have in Christ is enough for us to do all He has designed for us to do.  Every ability, every resource, every bit of compassion, joy, peace, confidence and courage.  Christ is enough!  Christ is enough!  Christ is enough!

Now may God equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever.
Hebrews 13:20-21

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.  And let us consider how we may spur one another on towards love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:23-25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team