Wrestling

I met an old friend for lunch this week.  We recently re-connected after years and years.  My wife went for the wedding dinner of her friend (I ducked out!) and happened to be seated at the same table as my friend, and somehow the topic of primary schools came up, and it was discovered that the fellow was my classmate in primary 1!

Anyway, I really enjoy meeting this friend of mine, because he is a transparent, frank guy.  He doesn't pretend to be a super holy guy, he doesn't pad his words, and he challenges me with how he openly wrestles with God, and struggles to do the right thing. 

Some people think wrestling and struggling to obey God demonstrates a lack of faith and obedience.  Maybe.  But sadly, I think most of us don't even bother to wrestle with God.  We completely avoid confrontation with God and quietly do our own thing instead!

For men, this is especially when it comes to career decisions and making money.  I've often been tempted to jump at career opportunities without seeking God.  Then there's conduct at work.  Most of us will probably shy away from outright fraud, but when it comes to a white lie, or some ambiguous situation, we'll find a way to peaceably rationalize, while making sure to carefully avoid looking into God's eyes.  And we may even do so while wearing the outward ornaments of being a Christian.

So I really appreciate my friend who makes no pretense with ornaments, and admits his wrestling with God. 

It does not always seem a pleasant thing to us to hear from God, especially when He asks us to do something we don't want to, or when He prunes our character through trials or humbling service.  It gets especially difficult when we look for God to reward us for walking with Him, and then the reward doesn't seem to come.  Career progression, kids doing well, health issues.  Then we ask ourselves, "Did I hear God right?"  and we start to second-guess, and wonder if God is really with us.

But as my friend said, the better question is not "Did I hear God right earlier?" but "Am I obeying God now?".  If we seek God earnestly and obey Him, then He honours that.  He will turn even a bad situation, or a bad decision to good.  While it is absolutely important to hear from God, if things seem to go wrong, just continue seeking Him and obeying Him.  There's little point in agonizing over whether we heard Him right in the first place.  We are where we are.  And He knows what He is doing with our lives, and who He wants to transform us into.  As frustrating and painful as our detours may be, they cannot, and do not upset that. 

So if you're struggling and wrestling with God today, know that it will be OK.  If you're not struggling with God... then check yourself humbly, to see if you've inadvertently walked away from the good fight!

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team