Because I know whom I have believed


It’s coming up to Christmas time, and as usual, this includes some kind of Christmas event for the church. Thanks to my pastor’s prodding (which I am very grateful for – if there was no one to keep me accountable, I’d never get around to being the Christian I should be), I finally invited a bunch of people I know.

Sending out the invitation was quite scary, because of the “face” issue – you know, you don’t want people to think you’re weird. So when I finally grit my teeth and send out the invitation, I felt rather proud of myself.

The next day (Saturday), I brought the kids to badminton training, and as per my usual routine, I went for a run while waiting for the class to finish. As I was sitting under the shade and sipping my ice Milo after my run, it suddenly struck me that I was incredibly blessed. Here I was, with the capacity to bring my kids out, get in my own exercise and enjoy a cool drink on a sunny Saturday afternoon. I thought that if the Apostle Paul could see me now, and compare my life with the trials and tribulations he had to contend with for his faith- well, it’s practically embarrassing isn’t it? Clearly, my self-satisfaction at merely sending out an invite to a Christmas event was barely deserved!

So why is it so difficult to invite people to know the meaning of Christmas? In Luke 9:26 Jesus clearly warns us that “If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels”.

Yet, at least for me, there is always that fear of rejection, the fear that people may think less of me because of my faith.

So Paul has set the example for us, saying in Romans 1:16 “I am NOT ASHAMED of the gospel, because it is the POWER of God for the salvation of everyone who believes…”

In fact Paul was so confident that he said in Philippians 1:20 “I eagerly EXPECT and HOPE that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or death.”

And in encouraging Timothy, Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 1:8 “So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner…” Paul further explained the reason for his lack of shame in 2 Timothy 1:12 “That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed BECAUSE I KNOW WHOM I HAVE BELIEVED, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day”

Simon Peter echoes this in 1 Peter 4:16 “However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but PRAISE GOD THAT YOU BEAR THAT NAME.”

2000+ years ago, God sent His only Son, forsaking His majesty, taking on the humiliation that should have been ours, just so that He could invite us in. What comparable price could we possibly pay in inviting our friends and family in turn to know the meaning of Christmas today? Let’s make Christmas 2009 one to remember for ourselves, in that we acted in faith and obedience, and for our friends and loved ones, in that they experienced the joy of knowing Him.

There is no guarantee that anyone we invite will actually agree, but let God manage this. As His workers, we are simply required to go. His promise is that His word will not return to Him void, but will accomplish what He desires and achieve the purpose for which He sent it (Isaiah 55:11). And if one reason why the invitation is not accepted this year is because we haven’t done enough groundwork, then let that be our motivation to start work now, and not wait till Christmas 2010!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team