Not to live an unremembered life


Tommy Tenney (Godchasers) was in town a couple of weeks ago and he gave one of the most amazing series of sermons I have ever been through. The session lasted from morning to evening. Lyn and I had actually planned to leave early to pick up our kids, but I was enjoying the sermons so much and when Lyn saw my face when we were going to leave, she asked me if I wanted to stay and of course I said yes (let me say it again - I have the best wife in the world!). I know it makes me sound like a goody-two-shoes to want to listen to a sermon, but it really was an amazing sermon.

But this is the funny bit. Now, sitting down two weeks later, I can't remember what it was about. And oddly, this is EXACTLY what Tommy Tenney said would happen. He asked us (and this is the one thing I actually remember!) whether we could remember how we felt the last time we had a special encounter with God in church. Of course most of us could remember. And then he asked us if we remembered what the pastor had preaching about. And almost no one could.

It seems to me that two important lessons can be drawn from this:

a. (and this is probably the more obvious point) bring a notebook so that you can look back and reflect. This is clearly a good habit. But hand on heart, how many of us seriously review the notes we make during sermons? Hey, I write this blog and I hardly remember what I write myself. When we do make the effort to review, of course there is an opportunity to relearn and drum in some of the lessons, but the fact is, most of us don't do it.

b. although most of us can't remember what the pastor said just one week ago, most of us WILL remember the last time we actually DID some serious work for God. I remember almost everything about my Tokyo trip with the Magic of Love, even though it's about 3-4 years back. I remember my Lijiang trips. I remember doing magic tricks for the Alzheimer's home. I remember bringing friends to the "Elijah" and "The One Thing" events, and these happened YONKS ago.

This just goes to show that DOING something is far more memorable than just HEARING about it. So if we are serious about God, we should, at the end of our lives be able to look back and see that we really did run the race, instead of thinking "well, I vaguely remember going to church, but other than that, it's all a blur." Do we really want to turn up before Jesus and say, when we are called to account for our time "actually, I can't really remember very much".

Let me be clear. I'm not saying that going to church to listen to your pastor or attending cell to learn from your cell leader is a waste of time. Because "faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ." Romans 10:17. Clearly, hearing the word is essential. Belonging to a community of believers is also critical.

But, these should be catalysts to action. "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately FORGETS what he looks like." James 1:22-24.

That's it exactly, isn't it. If we don't practice the word, we just forget what we hear. And then turning up to hear the word in the first place becomes, let's face it, a waste of time other than psychological assuasion of religious guilt. Let's resolve to come before God with a clear account of the time and resources He has given us, and not a vague zephyr of half-remembered life.

So my earnest exhortation for all is to really DO something about the good word that we receive each week. God says that His word will not return void Isa 55:11. Claim that promise today, so that we will not live an unremembered life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team