The victory of salvation


Over the past couple of weeks, we've been encouraging each other to make use of the Easter period to reach out to our loved ones. We know that in our flesh, this never seems easy. We think that our friends know us and our faults so well that we can't possibly witness to them without seeming like hypocrites. We worry that our parents may be upset if we try to win them to Christ. We think we don't know the Bible well enough to answer tough questions. There are lots of reasons not to do as He says.

But NONE of them should allow us to ignore His instruction to go and make disciples. Paul said I no longer live, but Christ lives in me (Gal 2:20). If we believe this, then is Christ in us not sufficient? His power is made perfect in our weakness (2 Cor 12:9)!

How do we prevent ourselves from falling into a defeatist mindset? Ephesians 6 describes the armour of God - the bit that protects the head/mind is the helmet of SALVATION (Eph 6:17). Let's think about how this could apply to us. What are some implications of our salvation?

1. We have hope - salvation overcomes hopelessness.
Salvation is the promise of eternal life with God. Even better, God has deposited in us a GUARANTEE until He returns.

"Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory." Eph 1:13-14. The Holy Spirit is the GUARANTEE of our hope and salvation.

"And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:5.

What an amazing guarantee we have! We are no longer hopeless, but instead possess a hope that DOES NOT DISAPPOINT, and a hope that is CONTINUALLY with us in our hearts!

2. We have a destiny - salvation overcomes aimlessness.
Having now this eternal hope, what is the focus of our lives?
"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do" Eph 2:10

My pastor gave an amusing illustration of aimlessness using Christopher Columbus's journey to the New World. When he left Spain, he didn't know where he was going. When he got to America, he didn't know where he was. When he got back home, he didn't know where he had been! Did you know that the Red Indians (politically correct term these days is native Americans) were called Indians because Christopher Columbus initially thought he had gone round the world and reached the east coast of India (nobody even knew that an entire continent stood between Europe and Asia)?

Our time on earth is short. We don't want to end up in a situation where we don't know where we're going, where we are, or, when it's all said and done, where we've been.

Instead, we should live with a focus.
"Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is." Eph 5:15-17 We want to be able to say we have fought the good fight, and finished the race (2 Tim 4:7). Therefore seize the destiny that God has prepared IN ADVANCE, specially for you!

3. Salvation makes us overcomers - it overcomes helplessness.

Paul says that God "is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us" (Eph 3:20-21). Knowing we have a guaranteed, continual hope, and knowing that we should act on that hope, we also need to recognise that God will provide us with EVERY power, wisdom, energy, opportunity and means to fulfil the destiny and hope He has installed for each of us.

Forget the things behind (Isa 43:18) - He can overcome our shortcomings, our weaknesses, our failed relationships!

Do you know someone who is struggling with hopelessness, aimlessness or helplessness? Bring him or her the good news today!

So that's our food for thought and prayer in overcoming defeatist mindsets. We have hope. We have an aim. We have power to overcome. But mindsets are for acting on. Never be deceived that thinking the right thoughts is enough. Take action - come together with like-minded brothers and sisters to pray and encourage each other - there is power in community and accountability. After praying, act on that prayer, knowing that God hears and answers us.

My church is encouraging its members to take August to reach out to 20 people, bless them and tell them the good news. When I first heard the plan, I thought it was ridiculous. My New Year's resolution was only to reach out to THREE people. I don't even think I know 20 different people who need to be blessed. But I like opportunities to stretch my faith. If I don't operate on faith, how will I ever have the opportunity to see that it works? Do you ever wish that you could have seen Moses split the Red Sea? Well, stretch your faith today - ask for a miracle for your friends and family - give yourself a chance to see a miracle.

You know what? Since I told myself that I would aim for the miracle of reaching out to 20 people, God really has gone to work. I've met people I haven't seen for years, and they tell me "oh I've changed jobs, it's better hours and much better pay. But you know, I realised that money doesn't make me happy". Which of course is a window to meet up and discuss what life really is about. Absolute strangers call me up weeks after I meet them at some mutual friend's party to talk. Contacts are renewed and strengthened through my reservist training. Opportunities for prayer and action on my grandparents, parents and siblings' needs arise.

This morning I compiled a list of people I can meet to bless. It's been slightly more than one month only since the challenge to reach out to 20 people was issued. Know how many there are on my list? TWENTY-THREE. I just met one yesterday. Twenty-two to go, each of whom will entail, I'm sure, more than 1 meeting, and wisdom to know what to say and do. The next problem now is that I don't even know how to find the time to meet them all :) Will God find a way? OF COURSE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a pie chart

Bullying? Stand up!

Family AND Team